Birmingham Alabama Dog Bite Lawyer
If you have been injured by a dog, you need to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible.
Dog bites can cause serious injuries, and you may be entitled to compensation for your losses.
Our attorneys are experts in dealing with dog bite claims, and we’ll do everything we can to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
We understand that dog bites can be traumatic, and we will make the process as smooth as possible for you. Our team will take care of all the paperwork and deal with insurance companies, so you can focus on healing from your injuries.
If you or someone you love has been injured by a dog, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Table of Contents
Understanding Alabama Dog Bite Laws
In Alabama, there is a one-bite rule that applies to dog bite cases.
This means that if a dog has never bitten anyone before, the owner may not be held liable for injuries caused by the dog. However, if they knew or should have known that the dog was dangerous, they may be held responsible.
Dog bites, like all other forms of personal injury litigation, are governed by stringent legislation in Alabama.
Alabama has a comprehensive list of dog bite laws and dog bite statutes, including:
- If an owner keeps a dog that is known to be dangerous and exhibiting aggressive behavior, and the dog attacks someone, the owner may be charged with a misdemeanor.
- If a dog owner knows that their pet is dangerous and allows it to go free without a leash, they are held liable if someone gets hurt as a result of the dog’s actions.
- Dog owners must keep their dogs on their own property. If a dog leaves the property and bites someone, the owner may be held liable.
- It is illegal to own a pit bull terrier in Alabama.
These are just some of the laws that apply to dog bites in Alabama.
If you have been injured by a dog, it is important to speak with a qualified attorney who can help you understand your legal rights and options.
Aggressive Dog Breeds in Birmingham, Alabama
The most aggressive dog breeds that are commonly found in Birmingham include:
- Pit Bull Breeds (Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldogs)
- German Shepherds
- Doberman Pinschers
- Chow Chows
- Great Danes
Pit bull breeds have been the most common breed involved in dog attacks. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, Pit bull breeds are responsible for 65% of dog attacks.
If you have been attacked by any of these dogs, you should visit a doctor right away.
You should also contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options.
Our Birmingham Alabama Dog Bite Lawyers have extensive experience handling dog attack cases.
We will work diligently to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
How to Prevent Dog Bites
Dog attacks often come as a surprise, whether walking down the street or being near a dog you’ve known for its whole life.
Regardless of the situation, it’s important to do everything you can to prevent a dog attack.
To prevent dog bites, you should following these six (6) steps:
- Be cautious around dogs you do not know.
- Do not approach strange dogs.
- Do not bother a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- Do not try to take a toy or food away from a dog.
- If a dog approaches you, do not run away. Stand still with your hands at your sides.
- If a dog knocks you down, curl into a ball and protect your face with your hands.
Who Is at Fault for a Dog Bite?
The dog owner is usually liable for any injuries caused by the animal.
There are a number of factors that will be considered when determining liability, such as:
- Whether the dog has a history of aggression
- Whether the dog’s owner was aware of the aggressive tendencies
- Whether the dog owners fail to control or leash his or her dog
- Whether the victim was trespassing on the dog owner’s property
- Whether the dog bite victims provoked the dog to attack
If you need an experienced Birmingham dog bite attorney, our lawyers have successfully represented many people who have been injured by dogs.
We understand the laws regarding liability and will work to get you the compensation you deserve.
How to File an Alabama Dog Bite Claim
It is highly recommended that you seek legal counsel before filing an Alabama dog bite claim.
An experienced lawyer will be able to guide you through the process and ensure that your rights are protected.
The first step is to gather all of the relevant medical documentation. This will be used to support your claim for damages.
You will then need to calculate your total financial losses. This includes medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Once you have gathered all of the necessary documentation, you will need to file a complaint with the appropriate court.
Contact Our Team of Birmingham Dog Bite Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one has been injured by a dog, it is important to contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Our personal injury firm has years of experience handling dog bite injury cases in Alabama.
We have the knowledge and resources to help you get the compensation you deserve.
There are strict deadlines for filing a claim, so it is important to act quickly. Contact us today for a free consultation and help with your dog bite case.
Bodewell Law: Your Birmingham Dog Bite Lawyers